Job Description: Senior Consultant at Purpose Capital
Purpose Capital is seeking a Senior Consultant to play a lead role in its Impact Investment Advisory practice. Reporting to the CEO, this individual will be deeply involved in leading this practice area, managing a portfolio of client projects, supporting business development where appropriate, and delivering on the strategic priorities of the firm.
About Purpose Capital
Purpose Capital is an impact investment advisory firm that mobilizes all forms of capital — financial, physical, human and social — to accelerate social progress. Through our Impact Investment Advisory practice, Purpose Capital guides and supports investors as they strive to integrate their goals for positive impact across their portfolios. Providing independent advice and market intelligence, we work with clients to understand their investment approach, clarify investment parameters, and determine impact themes. We examine a client’s overall portfolio and how impact investing is integrated into, and complements, its investment objectives. We currently advise some of the country’s leading foundations, private investors, financial institutions, and social finance intermediaries. With a clear public spirit, we continue to publish market-leading research for Canada, and contribute regularly to market-building activities.
We are seeking a highly entrepreneurial individual to join our team, with responsibility for contributing to and growing the Investment Advisory practice. Applicants should expect this role to include the following:
- Leading and managing client engagements with public and private foundations and high net worth individuals including mandates for education, strategy and investment theory of change development, and investment search and due diligence. Such engagements will require accountability for client deliverables, processes, and budget management;
- Leading and supporting client engagements for impact investment market research;
- Identifying and securing prospective clients within the impact investing, financial and philanthropic sectors in North America and globally;
- Continuing to refine and improve our service offering and processes through the ongoing capturing and retention of developed IP and best practices;
- Communicating the firm’s service offerings and market leadership to new networks and partners;
- Supporting the ongoing development and maintenance of Open Impact, a public impact investing inventory, in partnership with the Michael Lee-Chin Institute for Corporate Citizenship and other partners; and,
- Developing and implementing strategic priorities and collaborative projects with the firm’s leadership.
The ideal candidate will have the following professional qualifications:
- 5+ years of relevant work experience in impact investing, financial services, and philanthropy, with experience across more than one of these sectors welcomed;
- Detailed understanding and/or experience in financial advisory and portfolio management is a strong asset, as is consulting experience;
- Experience working with a range of investors such as foundations, families and high net worth individuals, and financial institutions;
- Knowledge and awareness of the motivations, needs and practices of financial and/or philanthropic intermediaries such as fund managers, financial advisors, investment consultants, etc.;
- Demonstrated ability to lead and/or manage client engagements, including accountability for client deliverables, budgeting and team direction;
- Track record of business development and relationship management, including complementary networks;
- Strong project management and organizational skills, including managing a team, and working with a range of clients and/or stakeholder groups;
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal; and,
- Undergraduate degree required; Relevant professional credentials (CFA, CFP, CPA, etc.) and/or a Masters level education strongly welcomed.
The ideal candidate will also have the following personal and professional characteristics:
- A passion for using the capital markets, impact investing, and social enterprise to accelerate social progress;
- Comfort in a fast-paced, evolving and self-directed working environment;
- Capacity to work as part of small, dynamic and supportive team including ability to exercise good judgment with limited supervision, and to manage time effectively;
- Ability to effectively and efficiently prioritize among competing demands;
- Humility and a deep interest in continuous learning; and,
- Ability to integrate into a small, closely-knit team that strives to work together and support the development of all its members.
- This is a full-time position based in Toronto. Applicants interested in a long-term, part-time role may also be considered based on their experience.
- The anticipated start date for this position is October 2nd, 2017. There is some negotiable flexibility regarding the start date as required.
- This is a 12-month contract that may be renewed, or convert to a permanent position, after the initial contract.
- Compensation is commensurate with experience, combining base salary and performance-based incentives, and includes health and dental coverage.
- Interested individuals should send a CV and cover letter in a single document to firstname.lastname@example.org by end of day Friday, September 15th, 2017.
- Please state “Senior Consultant Application” in the subject line of the email.
- Successful candidates will be contacted for interview. No phone calls please.